Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Goals are Dreams with deadlines..

One topic I'm pretty passionate about is goals; what they are, how you decide on them, and how you help yourself get there! You may have an idealized pant size, a BMI, dress size, a weight, or simply just a way you want to look. I know that from a very young age I was taught about what we "should" weigh, but I'm here to tell you that most height weight charts were made, or are based on ones made, during the Great Depression! A time when our country was comparatively unhealthy and in a situation we can never fully reproduce (environmental factors and such). With the current state of our country and all the factors that are out of our control, I think it is stupid to try to base our idea of healthy on those numbers. Now, I'm not saying that you can't get to that number, just that you shouldn't have to in order to be considered healthy.
I spent a lot of my life wishing to be skinny, to look like the other girls. Then I went through hell and realized it was simply a gift to be healthy! So that is my goal now, to be healthy. My idea of health is: a weight within a realistic range, a good BMI, normal blood chemistries (cholesterol and such) and having a body that can do what I want it too. For me this is: 138-140lbs, 24.7-24.9 BMI, and being able to run a 5k without passing out! I have included the height-weight chart I like to look at.
   So here's what I suggest: look at this chart, check out your BMI, and then take your dreams for yourself and put them together so you have a feasible healthy goal that will make you happy and confident! The next step is to set up a schedule or a date, I like using a 1-2lb a week model. Once you have all these laid out, and I personally like to write it all out makes me feel organized and excited, then pick "subgoals" at which you will reward yourself! A lot of people make the mistake of rewarding themselves with food, but as my good friend Pinterest reminds us:
Its true, when you act like you are depriving yourself of everything good, or when you actually do, your mind never settles into this new healthier you scheme. So get yourself a new shirt to show off your new bod, or go to a movie with friends! Do something simple, but at the same time meaningful :)
  That's about all I have to say on goals for now, message me if you have any questions or just want to talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment